SIT30821 – Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
CRICOS Course Code: 109910A
This qualification reflects the role of cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items. Using discretion and judgement, they work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities.
Completion of this qualification contributes to recognition as a trade cook. This qualification provides a pathway to work as a cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes, and coffee shops.
Academic: Year 10 or equivalent
English (International Students):
IELTS 5.0 or higher with a minimum score of 4.5 in each band or equivalent TOEFL, PTE or EAP
Age: Must be 18 years of age on commencement
|Aplication Fee:||AU$250 (non-refundable)|
***These fees include Chef Uniforms and Knives set. All students must have their own laptop and software.
Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition Prior Learning (RPL)
You may be eligible to apply for Credit Transfer (CT) and/or Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) at application if you have previously studied at another Registered Training Organisation in Australia and have successfully achieved competency. Evidence of study must be submitted at the application to Contempo College.
Aims & Outcomes
Provide a pathway to further qualifications and learning
This course is aimed at
- Assist the students gain fundamental skills and competencies required to work within the hospitality sector
- Develop the required skills to effectively operated in a commercial cookery environment and gain knowledge in kitchen operations and hospitality
- Providing a pathway to higher education qualifications and learning
The amount of assessment hours required for this qualification is broken down into the course delivery modes/methods below.
- 120 hours of supervised assessment activities such as in-class/kitchen demonstrations, practicals, written assessments, exams/tests, case studies, projects, roleplays, presentations, demonstrations, projects, etc. (min 4 hours pw x 30 weeks) – (4 hours out of 20 scheduled hours per week)
- 90 hours of unsupervised practice, research, writing, preparation of presentations etc., and unit specific tasks including preparation of workplace-based assessment activities and submission documents (3 hours pw x 30 weeks)
- 200 hours of work placement – a compulsory component for this course and specifically required for unit – “SITHCCC043 Work effectively as a cook” – this unit requires students to be assessed and successfully complete the training package requirement for 48 complete food service periods within an operational commercial kitchen environment.
The total Amount of Assessment for this qualifcation is: 410 hours
Preferred pathways for candidates considering this qualification include:
- Individuals may enter SIT30821 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery with limited or no vocational experience and without a lower-level qualification (meeting entry requirements)
Pathways from the qualification:
- After achieving SIT30821 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery, individuals could progress to SIT40521 Certificate IV in Kitchen Management at Contempo College
Mode of Delivery
Face-to-Face: Classroom and kitchen-based commercial cookery environment,including work-based training.
No other modes offered. Student must attend minimum 20 hours per week.
Delivered in a face-to-face mode in a classroom environment supported by a purpose-built on-campus training kitchen.
All students will have access a purpose-built training kitchen facility. Where needed, a simulated environment will be created in classroom and kitchen to resemble real-life work practices, activities, and challenges; and to prepare the students to effectively transition to work after completion.
This course is delivered over a period of One (1) year. The course duration is:
- 52 Weeks of Course duration consisting of:
- 40 Weeks of scheduled study/tuition (4 terms of 10 weeks each)
- 12 Weeks of scheduled breaks/holidays (including pre-training and completion activities)
- A minimum of 20 contact hours per week of study/tuition have been scheduled by Contempo – to ensure students meet their student study visa conditions
- The course duration may vary for students who have been granted credits or RPL towards this course (e.g., students having completed any units in a previous course/qualification).
Course Structure and Unit of Competency
To attain a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery 25 units must be achieved:
20 core units; and 5 elective units
Elective units reflect the intended course outcomes and the supported job roles. When available, other elective units may be chosen within the packaging rules.
Use food preparation equipment*
Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery*
Prepare appetisers and salads*
Prepare stocks, sauces and soups*
Prepare vegetables, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes*
Prepare vegetarian and vegan dishes*
Prepare poultry dishes*
Prepare meat dishes*
Prepare seafood dishes*
Produce cakes, pastries and breads*
Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements*
Work effectively as a cook**
Clean kitchen premises and equipment*
Receive, store and maintain stock*
Plan and cost recipes
Use hygienic practices for food safety
Participate in safe food handling practices
Coach others in job skills
Participate in safe work practices
Prepare and present sandwiches*
Package prepared foodstuffs*
Prepare and serve cheese*
Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks
Produce and serve food for buffets*
*These units have pre-requisite – SITXFSA005 Use Hygienic Practices for Food Safety and or SITHCCC027 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery that must be scheduled prior to starting any new term or student group.
* *Denotes the unit prescribed for work placement purpose. The allocated hours cover a minimum of 48 complete food service periods: 20 hours per week over 10 weeks in an approved workplace. Work placement is scheduled in the last term of the course so that students have developed the essential skills and knowledge over the duration of the course to be ready to perform in a workplace environment.
For more details on qualification and packaging rule, refer: https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/SIT30821