SIT40521 – Certificate IV in Kitchen Management
CRICOS Course Code: 109603A
This qualification reflects the role of chefs and cooks who have a supervisory or team leading role in the kitchen. They operate independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems. This qualification provides a pathway to work in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes and coffee shops, or to run a small business in these sectors.
Academic: Completion of Australian Year 11 or equivalent
English (International Students):
IELTS 5.5 or higher with a minimum score of 5.0 in each band OR
Equivalent TOEFL , PTE or EAP
Age: Must be 18 years of age on commencement
***These fees include Chef Uniforms and Knives set. All students must have their own laptop and software.
Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition Prior Learning (RPL)
You may be eligible to apply for Credit Transfer (CT) and/or Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) at application if you have previously studied at another Registered Training Organisation in Australia and have successfully achieved competency. Evidence of study must be submitted at the application to Contempo College.
Aims & Outcomes
This course is aimed at:
- Assist the students gain the essential skills and competencies required to work as commercial cooks within the hospitality sector
- Develop the required skills to effectively operated in a commercial cookery environment and gain knowledge in kitchen operations and hospitality
- Provide a pathway to further qualifications and learning
The amount of assessment hours required for this qualification is broken down into the course delivery modes/methods below. The number of hours allocated for summative assessments activities are detailed as follows: For the full course load:
- 200 hours of supervised assessment activities such as in-class/kitchen demonstrations, practicals, written assessments, exams/tests, case studies, projects, roleplays, presentations, demonstrations, projects, etc. (min 4 hours pw x 50 weeks) – (4 hours out of 20 scheduled hours)
- 150 hours of unsupervised practice, research, writing, preparation of presentations etc., and unit specific tasks including preparation of workplace-based assessment activities and submission documents (3 hours pw x 50 weeks)
- 200 Hours of work placement – a compulsory component for this course and specifically required for unit – “SITHCCC020 Work effectively as a cook” – this unit requires students to be assessed and successfully complete the training package requirement for 48 complete food service periods within an operational commercial kitchen environment.
The total Amount of Assessment for this qualification is: 550 Hours
Note: The amount of assessment for students with credits (e.g., progressing students) would vary. The amount of assessment for students with approved credits will, therefore, be proportionate to the total number of weeks/durations allocated as part to their enrolments. For example, amount of assessment for students progressing from SIT30821 with all applicable credits will be based on two terms equivalent (without the work placement requirement).
Preferred pathways for candidates considering this qualification include:
- Individuals may enter SIT40521 Certificate IV in Kitchen Management with limited or no vocational experience and without a lower-level qualification (meeting entry requirements).
Pathways from the qualification:
After achieving SIT40521 Certificate IV in Kitchen Management, individuals could progress to SIT50422 Diploma of Hospitality Management.t.
Mode of Delivery
Face-to-Face: Classroom and kitchen-based commercial cookery environment, including work-based training.
No other modes offered. Student must attend minimum 20 hours per week.
Delivered in a face-to-face mode in a classroom environment supported by a purpose-built on-campus training kitchen.
All students will have access a purpose-built training kitchen facility. Where needed, a simulated environment will be created in classroom and kitchen to resemble real-life work practices, activities, and challenges; and to prepare the students to effectively transition to work after completion.
This course is delivered over a period of one and a half (1.5) years. The course duration is:
- 78 Weeks of Course duration consisting of:
- 50 Weeks of scheduled study/tuition (5 terms of 10 weeks each)
- 10 Weeks of work placement (1 term of 10 weeks)
- 18 Weeks of scheduled breaks/holidays (including
pre-training and completion activities)
1. A minimum of 20 contact hours per week of study/tuition have been scheduled by Contempo College – to ensure students meet their student study visa conditions
2. The course duration may vary for students who have been granted credits or RPL towards this course (e.g., students having completed any units in a previous course/qualification).
Course Structure and Unit of Competency
To attain a Certificate IV in Kitchen Management 33 units must be achieved:
27 core units; and 6 elective units
Elective units reflect the intended course outcomes and the supported job roles. When available, other elective units may be chosen within the packaging rules.
Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery*
Prepare appetisers and salads
Prepare stocks, sauces and soups*
Prepare vegetable, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes*
Prepare poultry dishes*
Prepare seafood dishes*
Prepare meat dishes*
Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements*
Produce cakes, pastries and
Work effectively as a cook**
Plan and cost recipes
Use hygienic practices for food safety
Participate in safe food handling practices
Use food preparation equipment*
Prepare vegetarian and vegan dishes*
Receive, store and maintain stock*
Plan cooking operations*
Manage finances within a budget
Lead and manage people
Monitor work operations
Implement and monitor work health and safety practices
Develop recipes for special dietary requirements*
Design and cost menus*
Develop and implement a food safety program*
Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks
Package prepared foodstuffs*
Prepare and serve cheese
Produce and serve food for buffets*
Lead diversity and inclusion
Enhance customer service experiences
Contempo students progressing from SIT30821 (fully completed with the above 25 units attained – 1 year equivalent) will need to complete additional 8 units in this course – (6 months equivalent). Accordingly, their CoEs will be amended for the course duration.
* These units have pre-requisite – SITXFSA005 Use Hygienic Practices for Food Safety and or SITHCCC027 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery that must be scheduled prior to starting any new term or student group.
** Denotes the unit prescribed for work placement purpose. The allocated hours cover a minimum of 48 complete food service periods: 20 hours per week over 10 weeks in an approved workplace. Work placement is scheduled in term 4 of the course so that students have developed the essential skills and knowledge over the duration of the course to be ready to perform in a workplace environment.
For more details on qualification and packaging rule, refer: https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/SIT40521